London: There is so much information out there about breast augmentation . Dr Roberto Viel, cosmetic surgeon at LCAS London, breaks down what is involved in a breast augmentation surgery.
Cosmetic surgeon at LCAS London, Dr Roberto Viel, has over twenty years experience in the industry and he has clinics in Dubai in London along with his twin brother, Dr Maurizio Viel. They have a reputation for creating natural-looking breasts that won’t leave you looking like Dolly Parton. In fact, if you have just finished having babies, a breast augmentation can always help revolumise the area or you may want to increase the size but you still want to look natural. Before you consider the cosmetic surgery here are some quick facts to consider about the breast augmentation procedure.
FACTFILE: BREAST AUGMENTATION, London Centre for Aesthetic Surgery.
- Other names: Breast enlargement, “boob job’.
- What does it do? Enhances the size and shape of a woman’s breast using implants.
- Type of anaesthetic? Sedation.
- Length of stay? Day care at the Welbeck hospital, London.
- What happens during the breast augmentation surgery? There are various methods of inserting and positioning implants. The most usual is to make an incision in the crease under the breast. Alternatively the incision can be made in the armpit or around the areola (the darker skin around the nipple). Working through the incision, the surgeon will lift the breast tissue and skin to create a pocket, either directly behind the breast tissue or underneath the pectoral muscle. The chosen implant will then be put into place and centred beneath the nipples. Drains may be used, depending on the position of the implant, the amount of bleeding and whether additional surgery has been carried out. Your breasts will usually be taped up for further support.
- How does it feel? After surgery you will feel sore, tired and bruised. Many women experience a burning sensation in the nipples or breasts (this usually subsides after a few days.
- How long does a breast augmentation surgery take? One to two hours.
- Scars? Scarring is usually minimal and discreet. However in some women the scars may be red, thick or painful and take several years before improvement.
- Swelling and bruising? At first there will be swelling, hardness and discomfort. Bruising twinges and pains may continue for the first few weeks.
- Recovery time? You should allow two to three weeks for full recovery, but many women go back to work after a few days.
- Side effects? Capsular (scar) contracture; rupture (a split or hole in the shell of the implant, causing the implant material to leak); seroma (fluid build-up around the implant), rippling and loss of sensation on the nipple for a few months. The usual potential risks of surgery.
- Contraindications? General. Breastfeeding.
- When will I see the result? Best result after two months.
- What’s the optimum age to have this? Twenties to forties.
- Any other procedures to have at the same time? Breast lifting.
- How long will the results last? Around ten to seventeen years.
- Cost? High.
We say: It’s a great operation and very rewarding for both the patient and the surgeon as the results can be so remarkable. But do keep a natural look – a good breast must always look natural. Please don’t go to the limit.
For more questions about the breast augmentation procedure or any of our other cosmetic surgery procedures at our London or Dubai clinics please find our contact information below. Dr Maurizio Viel also sees patients at the Atlantis Hotel for botox, fillers and consultations.
Tel: +44 207 636 4272
Tel: +971 4 375 2393